Friday, February 11, 2011

Not Just "All Hands"

I have internet! But not on my own little computer, I have to use the group laptops as they come available, but regardless, this is a great blessing for all of us. (Hopefully you feel this way too!)

I am in Leogane, safe and sound and living with 70 other people in a large open air cement palace. It feels like Eugene in the co-op sense and the compost bins, but very much still like Haiti in the heat, mosquitoes and the work!

Every morning we wake and eat a simple breakfast of instant oatmeal and hot water or corn flakes and instant milk. We are ready by 7:28am to go to work on one of many different projects - laying a foundation for a school, rendering walls for another school, demolition (more technical), rubbling (far less technical ~ sledgehammering), BSF (BioSand Filter creation), and other various projects like compost duties, Baby Orphanage, or whatever else some one has the initiative of doing. The organization is called All Hands and they really are just that! The physical labor feels wonderful after weeks of primarily working just my mouth, but of course, I am still working with that too. My Creole is getting so much better and it's an absolute joy to be meeting more and more people everywhere I go.

Most of the people here stay for months and my 3 weeks, I've been told, will pass quickly. In the meantime, I feel like this a time for me to practice the faith I have been so dependent on the past 6 weeks and actually be honest about it with the people here who are looking for grander purpose in their lives.

I've been able to have one really good conversation already today, over lunch dishes, about how and why I wound up in Haiti. I am feeling very led to doing this type of work in the future - being a missionary to the missionaries of sorts. I say "of sorts" because we are all truly missionaries in one sense or another. We are certainly not all preaching the same gospel, but we are all preaching something.

So many aid organizations have such good intentions and yet the end results fall short and the root issues remain. Perhaps I am here for such a time as this, to learn what works best and to spread that method one group of well-intentioned missionaries at a time.

(Of course, I'm still learning what this method is - but that's why I've still got a month to go!!)

Thanks for the prayers and emails and love - you're all wonderful!

Until the computer is free again,

Ana

1 comment:

  1. Something I've learned in my community health clinical is that what seems like a good idea to a group of planners may not actually make sense when trying to implement it with the targeted group, especially if the planners are removed from the ground level work. I think the world needs more bridges like you between the idea people and the people the ideas are effecting!

    Much love and prayers as you continue your journey and learning experience! I wish I could trade this cold wet Seattle weather for some Haiti heat (not the mosquitoes though, I'm good without them!)!

    ReplyDelete