Saturday, January 8, 2011

Election Day

It occurred to me this morning, Saturday January 8th, that yesterday was election day and I did not tell you anything about it. I assume that if you're following Haiti news at all, you might be curious as to my on the ground impressions.
Ironically, when I wrote the previous entry, on election day, the thought never occurred to me. Primarily because it was such a non-event.
True, I saw armored U.N. vehicles driving through the streets with men and women soldiers in the back with large guns. True, I saw a large plume of dark smoke from what could have been a road blockade of burning tires. True, I saw the Haitian police at major intersections, but they were directing traffic as they always do. And the smoke is always billowing from somewhere. And the U.N. always drive around with impressive weaponry. If I hadn't known that it was election day, I would not have been able to tell. So there you have it, the election news.
As for cholera, there are many banners throughout the section of the city through which we travel. Saying things like: give your baby your breast for the prevention of cholera. Wash your hands for the prevention of cholera and don't drink untreated water. Dr. Junie told me that at King's they have seen 10 cholera patients thus far with no fatalities. It's true that it is a concern, but with many things in Haiti, media hype and the idea of "selling misery" come into play.
I should make the disclaimer that I am in no means a political analyst, or someone who has the most current information on anything. Please take my comments as simply hearsay, a young woman's interpretations of an incredibly complicated situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment